Friday, April 25, 2014

Refashioned Top

Drapey Tunic to Summery T-Shirt

Ha! I'm finally getting around to writing up my first refashion post! Things have been a little chaotic around here, but in a good way. I just found out a couple of weeks ago that I got into my first art festival, and I am beyond excited! It takes place on historic Whyte Avenue (also known as Old Strathcona) in Edmonton, Alberta, and I will be painting with over three hundred artists for three days! So...this means I will be extra busy making art for the next couple months.

Anyway, on to the post!

I was visiting Serger Pepper not too long ago and saw some of Irene's beautiful refashions. Next thing I knew I was sifting through my closet to find some clothes to make over. It didn't take long either, because many of them need a serious overhaul. Here is the first one. 

It was a beautiful top, but I felt it needed to be simplified.
I thought it would be better to make a more casual look.

Here is how it looked on. 
Sorry about the face. 
SOMEbody's trying to make me laugh!

When I turned my top inside out I noticed the front facing was 
bigger than I thought, kind of like getting a bonus piece. 
I'll be saving that for another sewing project.

I sat down with a cup of coffee, took the top right apart, and 
set all the pieces out to start cutting out my new design.

 I keep a handy notepad from scraps  on my
night table for when inspiration hits.  
Here is my sketch.

The t-shirt that I'm using as my pattern is an old favorite. 
Try really hard not to look at the grease spots on the front, 
and remember:
Never wear anything you like to the garage.

The t-shirt shoulders extended beyond the edges of the tunic.
 
So I just cut extra pieces and sewed them on.

You can barely see the seam. Of course it 
helps that the pattern is a busy one!

It went together like a dream, and I have a 
few more (maybe a dozen?) to redesign.

Here we are Before,

And After!

I see myself getting good fashion mileage out of this little top!

I have more of these clothing re-do's in the works.
Till next time,
Have a great day everyone, and happy refashioning!

Val 

This post is linked to these great blogs:
Worthwhile Wednesdays @ Crafty Allie
Krafty Inspiration Thursdays @ Krafty Cards etc. 
Friday Link Party @ The Pin Junkie 
Say G'Day Natasha In Oz
Bewitch Me & Tity @ TitiCrafty
Friday Link Party @ The Pin Junkie 
Happiness Is Homemade A Peek Into My Paradise
DIY Sunday Showcase @ VMG206
Saturday Show=licious @ Sewlicious Home Decor
Do Tell Tuesday Vintage Zest










10 comments:

  1. Your shirt turned out beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Marti, and for hosting!

      Val

      Delete
  2. It looks great in the after shot! Thanks for sharing at Happiness is Homemade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy! I enjoyed the party!

      Val

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity with us at Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! I hope you will join us again this Saturday at 8:00 am EST!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I'm getting so much wear out of it. Have a great day!

      Val

      Delete
  5. I really like the after version so much! I wish I had the patience to sew, the most I ever do is pillows and curtains, and that's just because I can't find what I want in the stores. ~Ann
    Tarnished Royalty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Anne! I think it's great that you're creating decor for your home! Have an awesome day!

      Val

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...