Friday, April 11, 2014

Repair A Chipped Baseboard

Hey Guys!
Hope you're all having a good day so far.

You know, sometimes a post can come out of the most unexpected things; like when Mr. M. was playing with the dogs, knocked my vanity chair over, and the darn thing took a chunk out of the baseboard. Honestly, sometimes it's like the kids never left home.

Anyway, I saved the chunk so that I could try and fix it.
I used carpenter's glue and an Estée Lauder eyeshadow brush for applying it. 
Save your old eyeshadow brushes girls, you never know when they'll be useful!

 I applied carpenter's glue to the broken piece.

And to the baseboard itself. 
I put a fair amount on because the MDF really absorbs the glue.

I pressed the broken piece on firmly. I thought I would have to use
masking tape to hold the piece on, but it stayed put without it.

I gently wiped the excess glue off with the corner of a damp rag.

Then left it to dry for a couple of hours before sanding it with an emery board.
I keep one in the junk drawer and one in my tool box.
They really come in handy for small hard-to-get-at areas. 

Like fitting into the decorative grooves in a baseboard!

I wiped the sanding dust off, then used my white
artist's paint to touch up the edges.

Before

After

From three feet away. 

 It's not miraculous, but it looks much better, don't you think?
Don't know what I'd do without Estée! Check out how she helped
me fix my chipped laminate here.

Have a great day, and remember:
Almost anything is fixable!

Val

Linking to these great blogs:

Krafty Inspiration Thursdays @ Krafty Cards etc. 
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic On A Shoestring
Say G'Day Natasha In Oz
Friday Link Party @ The Pin Junkie 
Tutorials & Tips @ Home Stories A to Z








7 comments:

  1. Great repair job! I bet no one will ever notice that it had been broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, and you're right. My hubby couldn't even spot it after!

      Delete
  2. Such an easy fix. I love your idea of using an emery board for small areas. Thank you for sharing, Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! I was so happy that it worked!

      Val

      Delete
  3. Ugg...I just had this happen at my house. Sadly the chunk is no where to be found. Spackle it is! LOL

    Hey, would you want to participate in this tour?
    http://www.salvagesisterandmister.com/writing-process-blog-tour/
    Basically you answer 4 questions about yourself and your writing process then get 3 other bloggers to do the same. You include a bio for the person that invited you and the 3 others that you chose (which they provide). I thought it would be fun considering I don't fancy myself a writer LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erica!

    Thanks for stopping in! I will look into the writing-process-blog-tour.

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a lot of homes having the same problem with chipped baseboards and I think they're wasting tons on having the whole thing replaced. You've just shared with us the easiest and cheapest way to fix that problem and it's definitely unnoticeable. Thank you so much for sharing!

    Todd Bailey @ McCoy Maintenance

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...