Thursday, June 5, 2014

Simple Dress Challenge

Hi everybody!

I can't believe it has been nearly a month since my last post.

But I have a special one today that I'm excited and happy about.

I joined Diane Vin's Stitch Once Rip Twice sewing group on Facebook. It's great to share ideas and interact with other sewists.

Her latest challenge was to make a simple dress.

Yesterday was the deadline, and just when I thought 
I might not make it, inspiration hit.

Suddenly all I could focus on was creating a design, 
drafting the pattern, and trying on my new dress!

I spent my entire day on it!

The house quickly turned into my design headquarters. 
A total mess of tape, paper, pins and fabric. Fun!

I will share the tutorials and tips with all of you soon.
Promise.

The cowl neck collar on this top was used to make the dress bodice.

Look at how much fabric there is in that neck piece. 
When I unfolded it, I realized it would be 
enough for a t-shirt or tank top.

I forgot to take a picture of the original dress, 
but here's the leftover piece. The bra cups and 
elastic were wearing out, and although I altered
it, the fit was just not right anymore. 
 

The casing under the bust had a tie running through it.
I needed to use the tie as my neck and sleeve trim.
I pulled the tie out and noticed it was topstitched using
the chain stitch method from the factory. 
That's a good thing. See why HERE.

I took the skirt completely apart and used it as the fabric
to cut out the pattern. 

I attached the bodice to the skirt, right sides together, 
matching the side seams and center notches.

Here we are, all finished.
I so enjoyed making my dress! 
Hope all of you have a great day, and Happy Sewing!

Val

Linking to these great blogs:
Krafty Inspiration Thursdays @ Krafty Cards etc.
Wake Up Wednesday @ A Peek Into My Paradise
Worthwhile Wednesdays @ Crafty Allie
Brag About It @ VMG206
Say G'Day @ Natasha In Oz
The Creative Collection Link Party @ Craft-O-Maniac
Monday Funday @ Lines Across
Best of the Weekend @ Little Miss Celebration
Saturday Show=licious @ Sewlicious Home Decor
Do Tell Tuesday Vintage Zest
Wake Up Wednesday Sewing4Sophia


14 comments:

  1. That is so cute! You certainly have a creative eye Val. And.......you look fantastic in that dress as well. I call that a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina. And thanks for the nice compliment as well!

      Delete
  2. I've just pinned this-I love it! Well done.

    Thanks for joining the Say G’Day Saturday linky party. Hope you can join us again this weekend.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Natasha! Great link party as always!

      Val

      Delete
  3. I love it, what a transformation, you have been beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful comments Beatriz!

      Delete
  4. You go girl!! Way to reuse what you had and make it into something awesome! You look beautiful! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mindi! I just can't bear to throw anything away, you know!

      Delete
  5. Great dress! It really suits you, it's very pretty. Your sewing talents are really amazing! I would love to make clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim! Your compliments made my day!

      Delete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you are able to sew your own clothing. Simple pillows I can handle, clothing not so much. I tried making my daughter a skirt once, it was so bad, Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making me laugh Brandi! Always love hearing from you.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...