Thursday, March 13, 2014

Decoupaged File Box


Hey guys!

A while back I posted this tutorial for decoupage, and I am not sure what happened, but the post disappeared from my list in Blogger. I could have inadvertantly hit the delete button, who knows? Any way, I'm going to try re-posting it from memory. (We'll see how that goes!) This is my first attempt at decoupage, which I have always wanted to try. 
I guess it's not much different from collage, is it?


I have been working on Mr. M.'s office closet off and on, and 
ran across this road atlas while doing some decluttering in there. 


There are 87 pages in here. Each one measures 15.5" x 22", 
just about the perfect size to cover the long sides of a file box.

Then, when I was in the garage one day organizing our recycling, what did I find
but an old file box! I'm still wondering whether or not that's a coincidence!
I also found a city map of Victoria, which is a favorite place of ours to visit,
so I used it to cover some of the box.
Then I grabbed my craft supplies and got started. 
The medium I used is called Bindex by Pebeo. It's very similar to Mod Podge.

I drew around the edges and added an inch of allowance.I traced inside the handles 
and cut out three sides so that I could glue it under when the box was finished.

I troweled on the medium with a piece of a styrofoam meat tray. 
Our recycling center no longer takes styrofoam, so I run them 
through the dishwasher and use them for all kinds of things.

This file box is the collapsible type, so I unfolded 
the sides and covered each one separately.

Then brushed on a topcoat of medium.

Each of the shelves I installed will hold two file boxes. If I cover three more,
two shelves can be dedicated to filing and Mr. M. will have gained lots of 
storage space for his office. I'd say that worked out just right!

Hope all of you have a great day!

Val

Linked to these blogs:

Twirl And Take a Bow @ Deja Vue Designs
Worthwhile Wednesdays @ Crafty Allie
Mad Skills Party @ Mad in Crafts
Sew Darn Crafty @ Sew Many Ways
Monday FunDay @ C.R.A.F.T.
Made By You Monday @ Skip To My Lou
Flaunt It Friday @ Chic On A Shoestring
Say G'Day @ Natasha In Oz
DIY Sunday Showcase @ VMG206




15 comments:

  1. Val, your box turned out great. I LOVE it!! It would be great for storing vacation pictures and souvenirs in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Marti! Guess I'll need to make a few more!

      Delete
  2. I have several boxes stuffed with pics, trinkets, and souvenirs from trips we have taken. You have inspired me to create some great map boxes. Your box looks great! Thank you for the inspiration! ~Kelly

    unDeniably Domestic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,

      What a wonderful compliment! Thank you for making my day!

      Val

      Delete
  3. I love this idea. They'll look great in your husband's office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Hi Susan,

    Thanks for the comment, and for stopping in! I love the name of your blog; going to check it out right away!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Val, I really like your box. What a great idea, that you have upcycled an old atlas. I wrote a post a while back about making things from old books- check it out, you might find it interesting. http://makethriftlovelife.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/upcycled-old-book-crafts.html I found your link on Chic on a Shoestring's linky party.

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gayle!

      Thank you for the comment! I'm popping over to your post right away!
      Have a great day,

      Val

      Delete
  6. <3 Love! Hope you'll link it to my Blog hop party on Wednesday (Worthwhile Wednesdays)
    ~Allie@ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the invite Allie! I will be there!

      Val

      Delete
  7. This is so simple and what a look it gives!! Thanks for sharing on DIY Sunday Showcase! I pinned this to our board!!

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the sweet comment Shelly. Great to be a part of your Pinterest board!

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how this turned out! I have a smaller box that I think I'll try this on:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...