Sunday, August 24, 2014

Tunic To T-Shirt Tutorial - Easy!

Refashion: How to Make a Dressy T-Shirt in 20 Minutes



I whipped up a little t-shirt to wear to a golf dinner last weekend.
I started it forty-five minutes before my friend arrived to pick me up,
and it only took twenty minutes to make! It's amazing what a person can do when they put themselves under a little pressure.  


I'm not wearing this tunic much anymore.
But I really love the fabric, so I decided to just shorten the 
sleeves and hemline and call it a t-shirt. I made another t-shirt
refashion here, and I am getting so much wear out of it, 
I thought I might make a few more similar ones.

Would you like to sew up a quick and pretty t-shirt for yourself? 
Here's how:

 First, choose any tunic or long sleeve top from your closet.
Cut the sleeves and bottom, 
leaving 1/2" seam allowances for hemming.

Serge or zigzag the raw edges. 
Whenever you are serging or zigzaging a raw hem edge,
do so with the right side of the fabric up, facing you.
The edge will turn under a tiny bit towards the wrong side 
of the fabric, creating a cleaner looking finish.

This also helps when you turn your hem under to do the topstitching.
Plus, it helps keep your hem from bunching up as you stitch it.
And if you use the edge of the presser foot as a seam guide,
your topstitching will turn out pretty nice.


I was in a hurry to finish my top so I just used a straight stitch, but I really should have zig zagged instead. But since there isn't much 
stress on my hem, I can get away with it (just this once!).

Here we are, all finished:

I love that I can wear this little top so many different ways.
 With jeans, a skirt, dress pants,
layer it under a jacket, bling it up with jewellery, 
chunky bracelets, whatever you like.
It's really comfy, too!

Have a great day, and keep on sewing!

Val

Linking to these wonderful blogs:

Inspiration Thursdays @ Krafty Cards etc.



1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...