Monday, September 8, 2014

Simple Jumpsuit

Hi Everybody!

I just finished my Simple Jumpsuit Challenge project, and I'm really excited about how it turned out! It all started with a couple of circle skirts (on sale!) from Jockeywear, my favorite place to buy clothes.
...one of them in this knockout print:

Isn't it gorgeous?

I took the waist sashes off the skirts so that I can use them as scarves.
I love the black and white geometric print.



I used the pattern from this dress for the bodice, and combined it 
with one of my pant patterns to get the jumpsuit.

When I cut the back bodice out, I thought a key
hole closure would look kind of pretty, so I cut a slit in the center
back and trimmed it with binding. 
When I tried it on my dress form it was fine, but on myself it gaped badly.  And...I had already topstitched the entire neckline. 
Very upsetting. 

At this point I was considering pitching the whole thing right off the balcony, but I managed to come up with a solution that I would like to share with you. 


I picked out the keyhole trim with my seam ripper, 
cut the neckline trim off, and threw it over the balcony, 
which improved my mood considerably. Just sayin'.

I closed the keyhole back up, stitching to just above the waist seam of the jumpsuit, creating a kind of fake center back seam. Then attached a new, wider piece for the neck trim.

Stitching goes almost to the waistline seam like so.

 Here's how the neckline looks.
With twin needle top-stitching! I just learned how to do that, 
and it's way easier than I thought it would be.
If you haven't tried twin needle stitching yet, give it a whirl.
You'll be glad you did.

New improved neckline and center back seam.

And here's my beauty. I'm so happy with it!

I played around with the waist sashes to try out different looks.

Braided Scarf



Draped Cowl Scarf


And Side Tie.
I now have one less refashion on my list. Yay!
This one I made to wear when we take Mr. M. out to dinner for his 60th!
And two months after he turns 60, I turn 60. Boo!
Have a great day everybody!
And Keep on Sewing!

Val

Linking to these wonderful blogs:

Krafty Inspiration Party @ Krafty Cards Etc.
Say G'Day Saturdays @ Natasha In Oz
Sew Darn Crafty @ Sew Many Ways
Sewlicious Craft & Recipes @ Sewlicious Decor





6 comments:

  1. Wow, you're a very talented seamstress Val. Love this jumpsuit!
    Marie@TheInteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Mr. and you! I wish, your life to be so colourful like this jumpsuit :)
    Neva @Nowacraft.blogspot.com.tr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the brilliant colors! Versatile and chic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sinea, bright colors have always been my weakness!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! Your comments make my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...